Thursday 30 May 2013

Cyangugu




Now into my second day here in Cyangugu (pronounced Chan-goo-goo!).  Am staying in house belonging to Bishop Ken Barham, situated on Mont Cyangugu overlooking Lake Kivu and the hills of the DRC in the distance. Photos show the house and the views from the terrace/garden.

Have two security guards - Modeste (Day) and Antoine (Night) - who look after the house, garden and also do other odd jobs. Neither speak English so interesting trying to communicate in my very limited Kinyarwandan, sign language and smiles! Having to get used to Antoine walking past the bedroom window at night as he does his night patrol!

Having a few days to settle in before I start work on Monday so finding my way around. Walked down to Peace Guest House yesterday, where I will be mainly based, so got an idea of what my daily commute will be like - takes around 30 minutes if I take a shortcut or 45 minutes if I walk along the road and up along the lake.  Think I'm going to get fit being here as you can't go anywhere without encountering a hill and you get very breathless due to the high altitude.

I do feel like the "only Muzungu in town" - Muzungu (meaning White person) is called out by all the children often followed, not by all children, by "give me money!".  Made one small child cry, as I walking along, as don't think he had seen a Muzungu before.  You get stared at but learning to stare back, smile or greet them with "Muraho!" (Hello!) or "Waramutse" (Good Morning) or "Wiriwe" (Good Afternoon) which normally brings a smile to their faces.  A lot of the children call out "Good Morning, how are you?" even if it's morning of afternoon.

It does all feel a bit strange and different which it is - the sounds, smells and sights are not like you find at home but then I am in the middle of Africa. 








No comments:

Post a Comment